How do I teach my child that it is not ok to break things and bite people when she has a temper tantrum?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: A resource
Check out the e-book on kindle: parenting the kids according to a child psychiatrist.
Good luck.

In brief: A resource
Good luck.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Hoe bout a book?
Here's a great book on kindle, you can read it two hours and will change your life right away for thr better: parenting the kids according to a child psychiatrist.
It is written by me and is based my experience treating over 18, 000 kids. Be the book, !

In brief: Hoe bout a book?
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
In brief: Tell her
Discipline is teaching.
Reward good behavior. Kids learn best by example and will also repeat behavior if it gets them attention.

In brief: Tell her
Discipline is teaching.
Dr. Marina Armendariz
Dr. Marina Armendariz
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: If 5 or >, see a
Child psychologist.
If < 5, tell her what's ok to do when angry & the consequences for biting, throwing things or screaming. Discipline consistently without anger, verbal/physical aggression or engaging with her. When she tests you to see if she can get negative attention, walk her to time out without talking or eye contact; repeat till she stays in t.O. Start timer only when quiet & still.

In brief: If 5 or >, see a
Child psychologist.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Length of Time
I agree with dr webb, except for the length of time out.
I am not familiar with any research supporting the 1 min. Per year approach and most of my patients find it generally does not work. Try 10-15 minutes. Much more effective. And yes , consequences to change inappropriate behavior are sometimes firm to prove the point, no matter how old the child.

In brief: Length of Time
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: Time out and time in
Give time outs when your child displays inappropriate behavior such as biting.
This should happen immediately to be effective. Time outs can be as long in minutes as your child's age in years (2 yr old= 2 min timeout). Also make sure to do time ins- praise your child immediately after seeing good behavior to reinforce it!

In brief: Time out and time in
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: A child must learn
Consequences for their acts.
My now 13 yo daughter still has a bad temper (inherited from me). When she was 2, she hurled her shoe, and it hit another man in the leg. I picked her up, swatted her butt once, and brought her to the car. I then made her say she was sorry to the man.

In brief: A child must learn
Consequences for their acts.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
I have swatted her 2 other times. I don't know if it works. I HATE doing it. I love her more than life itself, and do not want her to think her behavior does not have consequences.
Dr. Cindy Juster