Pcos pcos monophasic or triphasic birth control pills? Asked about 6 hours ago - boston, ma hi i was diagnosed with pcos. I have cyst on my ovary 1.5 cm, started gain weight, acne, irregular period, my blood test showed estradiol 649pg/ml high , FSH 6.3 n

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Doesnt matter

There is no particular benefit to the triphasic pills, but either one would likely be beneficial for the pcos.
The first line treatment of pcos is birth control pills.

In brief: Doesnt matter

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Ew Moffitt

In brief: Going

Going on a birth control pill is the right decision based on the information you provided.
There is no one single correct pill choice. Some clinicians feel that the lowest dose birth control pills have a higher chance of allowing cysts to form in the ovaries and that a monophasic pill is a better choice. The main reason for going on a birth control pill when there is an ovarian cyst is to prevent the development of other cysts. It is not really correct to say that the pill "makes" the cyst go away. The best bet is to communicate to your physician all of your concerns and then your doctor will recommend a pill that seems the best for that situation.

In brief: Going

Dr. Ew Moffitt
Dr. Ew Moffitt