I have a ill defined hyperechoic solid nodule on my thyroid. This is what is noted on the ultrasound report. Is this cancer? I was having several symptoms that have been effecting my everyday life for some time. I have been very tired, lazy, dizzy. I have

The . The vast majority of thyroid nodules are benign, and it's not at all unusual to see multiple nodules on ultrasound. However, we do take them seriously, due to the small number of them that are thyroid cancer. The size of the nodule(s) is one of the key characteristics that we look at. While there are exceptions, generally speaking, it is recommended to biopsy nodules greater than 1 cm in diameter, and to observe ones that are less than 1 cm in diameter. Sometimes, ultrasound features of the nodules will affect these decisions, but that is the usual rule. If your thyroid blood work was normal, a thyroid scan probably isn't going to be very useful in determining what the nodules represent, as it will in all likelihood show a "cold" nonfunctioning nodule. The majority of benign thyroid nodules are "cold", as are essentially all thyroid nodules, so knowing that the nodule is "cold" probably won't help much. Instead, if any of your nodules are >1 cm in size, the specialist will probably recommend a fine needle aspirate (fna) of the largest nodule(s). This is a relatively simple outpatient procedure where a very thin needle is stuck into the nodule, usually with ultrasound guidance, and some of the nodule contents are sucked out for analysis. They usually make several passes on a given nodule, and don't usually biopsy more than two. Most of the time, an fna will tell whether the nodule is benign or malignant. Occasionally, they will get a "non diagnostic" result, which means they didn't get sufficient tissue. It doesn't necessarily mean they did the fna incorrectly; it's just the nature of the test that you don't always get as much tissue as you want. In those cases, they will usually repeat the fna. If the result is benign, then you know that, and if it is indeterminate or malignant, surgery is usually the next step. Thyroid nodules definitely need to be taken seriously, and do need to be followed up. However, just remember that they are very common in healthy people, and the vast majority do prove to be harmless.
Unfortunately . Unfortunately it is hard to know what it is until a sample can be taken. I would be sure to have the follow up that's been recommende to you already. They'll probably get a test that scans i see if the nodule is functioning or not. It's usually a bad thing when it is functioning on its own. However, since your thyroid labs were normal, it's likely not functioning on its own. I would get it checked out and try not to worry until they know what it is.