Does cerebral palsy cause a child's coordination to get worse as he grows older?

Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Non progressive
Cerebral palsy is a result of a brain injury.
The damage is non progressive. However, as a person grows, the imbalances may make people clumsy. In addition, the spasticity that characterizes CP can cause limitation of motion at joints, especially the legs,. Physical therapy with stretching of joints is important to prevent limitation of function.

In brief: Non progressive
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
In brief: Not traditionally
While cerebral palsy(cp) can be a devastating diagnosis, in my busy pediatric practice I have seen children with CP "graduate" from being wheelchair bound to successfully ambulating with crutches.
Progress depends upon the individual determination of the child and his parent's willingness to devote the time demanded by physical therapy to accomplish this--as well as the severity of the CP itself.

In brief: Not traditionally
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
In brief: Generally not
CP describes a disorder of motion or posture caused by an injury to the nervous system during pregnancy or up to three years of age.
The definition of CP makes it separate from disorders causing a deterioration of function as the child ages.Some CP kids who walk when younger will choose a wheel chair as a faster mode of transit when they get older. Actual coordination may improve some with therapy.

In brief: Generally not
Dr. Paul Cohen
Actually that is partially correct; the mainstay of treatment is to maintain the level of functioning through physical and occupational therapies. As the child ages and grows it is crucial to maintain functionality so as to delay and/or prevent contractures and loss of functionality. The level of ambulation is usaually dependent upon the degree of the CP; and a wheelchair is typically the 'enemy
Dr. Shontae Buffington