I am taking tegretol 200mg xr. I am itching. Doc says take Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and will pass. Is this correct? Prescribed tegretol for trigeminal neuralgia.

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: The doc is right

Carbamazepine (Tegretol): Initially, almost all patients (80-90%) with TN respond to Carbamazepine and this response is frequently used by some clinicians as a diagnostic , the long-term response is not as favorable and a significant number of patients may become refractory as the severity of the symptoms increases with only about half the patients responding after 5-10 years of treatment.

In brief: The doc is right

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: Tegretol allergy

Doc is correct, but you need med for facial pain.
Consider gabapentin, lyrica, (pregabalin) or cymbalta. These work quite well and have perhaps less adverse effects.

In brief: Tegretol allergy

Dr. Adam Hebb
Agree with Dr Machanic, and trileptal is also a good option.
Dr. Cindy Juster