I have a very watery, runny eye for a week....What can I do>? It's only one eye I have at times been told by the optomatrist i had slight dry eye in both eyes, that was over a year ago. This time it's one eye and it doesn't effect my vision just drain

Dr. John Kim
Ophthalmology

In brief: Excessive

Excessive tearing is most commonly caused by dry eyes.
It may appear contradictory but the tearing is an over reaction of the eye to the dryness. This is especially true in a peri or post-menopausal women. Signs of dryness is that the eye feels tired easily and relief is found with closing of the eye. You may also have burning or gravel sensation in the eye. Usually, if one eye is dry the other is also dry but can be of different magnitude. Also the response (tearing) can vary. The symptoms of dry is most severe in the winter months when the air is cold. The cold air holds less water and thus more dry. The other possibility can be a blocked tear duct in which case your ophthalmologist can easily diagnose it in the office and treat it with.

In brief: Excessive

Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kim
Dr. Nazhat Sharma
See you Ophthalmologist.
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Ophthalmology

In brief: Blockage

Blockage of the tear drainage duct could be the problem---have it checked by a qualified ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

In brief: Blockage

Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Often,

Often, when just one eye is involved in tearing, and dry eye treatments aren't working, a blocked tear duct is the actual problem. Hot compresses to the inside corner of the eyelids on that side may help.
An eye doctor can also prescribe antibiotic drops or consider clearing the blockage in the office. In women, this type of blockage is caused by small stones in the duct, caused by bacteria that respond to a sulfa antibiotic.

In brief: Often,

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Steven Seres