If I have genital herpes that I caught from my sexual partner (presenting below the belt) is fellatio okay? I contracted herpes (genital type) from my (now) monogamous (formerly sexually active with others) sexual partner through below the belt intercours

The . The short answer here is that herpes virus is contagious wheter or not you have active lesion, although a greater chance to be transmitted when active lesions are present. If oral sex is performed by either partner, the person performing the act is susceptible to contracting the virus and thus at risk for a herpes outbreak on the mouth, in the mouth, and even throat in some cases. The bottom line is to always protect yourself with condoms and dental dam. Take care.