Is permethrin 1 percent strong enough to treat scabies doctor said to buy generic brand is fine

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: I

I usually recommend Permethrin 5% for scabies.
The 1% is the formulation for lice and is usually not effective against scabies. The other things to remember when treating scabies are: - wash all underwear, sleepwear, sheets and towels in hot water. - treat everyone in the household - even if they do not have symptoms. Some people can be infected with scabies and not have symptoms. - creams are applied over the entire body as a one-time treatment, but can be repeated in a week. - itching may continue 2 weeks after treatment, but will eventually go away if you follow the above instructions. - particularly difficult cases may require an oral medicine, so call your doctor if there is no improvement after a couple weeks.

In brief: I

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen