The lymph nodes in my neck seem permanently swollen. Is this a cause for concern? I had a tonsil infection four years ago, and since then, the lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen enough to impair my movement when I turn my head. My doctor doesn't see

See a doctor. Please have them checked by a doctor. You can go to any medical clinic and have them evaluated, just to be safe.
Concerned. Lymphadenopathy that persists is not normal and needs to be evaluated with biopsy and other tests. Please consult your family physician for proper evaluation and management. Several etiologies, some of them not benign..
Enlarged . Enlarged lymph nodes or "lymphadenopathy" are very common. Lymph nodes are part of the immune system and enlarge with white blood cells to fight off infections when they detect a foriegn substance such as a virus or bacteria. (ever notice lumps in your neck with a sore throat?) usually these nodes shrink back down to normal size a few weeks after the infection is over, but can sometimes stay enlarged. No one is quite sure why this happens, but it's usually harmless. Other illnesses such as autoimmune disease or cancer can cause enlarged lymph nodes, but often multiple nodes are involved, they can get very large, keep growing instead of shrinking and are associated with other symptoms such as fever, chills, weight loss, rash, etc. That being said, if you feel that the size of the node is impairing your ability to turn your head, you might want to see an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat doctor) for an evaluation. They are typically the doctors that take out problem lymph nodes from patients' necks and would be a good place to start for a second opinion. Good luck!