Pain in this area is very tricky since there are many organ systems in the epigastric area and right upper quadrant of the abdomen.
- stomach - problems such as gastroesophageal reflux
, and stomach ulcers can cause pain in these areas - usually worse with eating and worse while laying down
, pancreatic stones/blockages can cause epigastric pain
, sometimes radiating to the back
- liver/gallbladder - hepatitis
, gall stones or gall bladder disease can cause pain in the right upper quadrant
- intestinal - duodenal ulcers, infections and constipation
can cause pain there because the colon
loops up into that area
- kidney - kidney stones
or infections can cause pain in the right upper quadrant, though many people feel it in their backs.
- gyne - ovarian pain from a cyst or even an infection from a sexually transmitted disease can cause pain in the right upper quadrant.
And all those are just a few of the things that could be going on! so, your best option is to be seen by a doctor and examined to determine the cause of your pain.
Reasons to go to the er are:
- high fever
- bloody stool
- bright green or bloody vomit
- severe or worsening pain
- difficulty breathing