Why am i bleeding after intercourse? I am almost 20 years old and my boyfriend and I have been together for about a year. Last may i had the IUD put in. Since then my periods are completely random and hard to track. Sometimes they last one day, sometimes

Dr. Clifford Rogers

In brief: Bleeding

Bleeding after intercourse can occur for a variety of reasons, including irritation of the cervix from an iud string.
Other common causes include cervical polyps (small benign growths on the cervix that can bleed on contact) and infection of the cervix (cervicitis). A much more rare but serious cause of bleeding after intercourse is cancer of the cervix. The bottom line is, if you are experiencing bleeding after intercourse and have not seen a medical provider to have it evaluated, you should. A review of your history, a pelvic exam, and in some cases a pap smear, cultures from the cervix, or other tests will identify the cause and allow the correct treatment, if needed.

In brief: Bleeding

Dr. Clifford Rogers
Dr. Clifford Rogers
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham