Is it safe to get pregnant if I have a kidney disease?

Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine
There are many types of kidney disease, and many ranges of severity.
Your nephrologist is crucial in getting your renal function stable, and your medications should be reviewed by your obstetrician. If you've had a kidney transplant, experts recommend waiting at least one to two years (depending on donor) before attempting pregnancy. Unfortunately, pregnancy is very rare in dialysis patients.

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein
Dr. Jesse Chuang
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Higher risk
Just because someone has kidney disease does not mean it is unsafe to get pregnant.
However, if you do have kidney disease, risk of worsening kidney problems are higher. Some causes or kidney disease can also cause complications in pregnancies, such as lupus and the antibodies associated with it. I would see a nephrologist to look at your risks and discuss further.

In brief: Higher risk
Dr. Jesse Chuang
Dr. Jesse Chuang
Dr. Arnon Rubin