Is it ok to suggest a med to your doctor? I was given a prescribtion for lortal but after researching meds found out that its a beta-blocker and can lead to diabetics. I asked for hydrochlorothiazide because the side affects are less. Is this o.K.

Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: At

At the heart of any good doctor-patient relationship is the ability to comfortably and effectively communicate, in both directions.
So sure you should feel comfortable making a suggestion. And the doctor should be able to tell you why he thinks its a good or bad idea. Best of luck.

In brief: At

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Grant Lynde
Anesthesiology

In brief: I'm

I'm guessing you meant Labetalol it's a very solid medication with a good track record.
But as you point out, almost all medications have risks and benefits and you should have a thorough conversation with your physician to figure out what medication will be best for you. Assuming you don't have other reasons to be taking a beta blocker, many physicians are happy to prescribe hydrochlorothiazide as a first line agent for blood pressure because it is rather cost effective. However, since it is a diuretic it will make you go to the bathroom much more than you currently are used to. It's always correct to discuss the medications your physician wants to prescribe you. And it's healthy to discuss alternatives, if any, to see if there's a better answer for your problem.

In brief: I'm

Dr. Grant Lynde
Dr. Grant Lynde
Dr. Steven Seres