Can you inject medical silicone in buttock from a implant? Can you inject medical silicone in buttock from a implant?

Dr. Michael Bermant
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: This

This should not be construed as medical advice.
I am a retired board certified plastic surgeon. Injection of liquid silicone is dangerous and a terrible idea. I have seen horrific complications from patients desperate for a solution to their complications from unethical people who took such material and injected it to various parts of the body. It tends to migrate, inflame tissue, and may cause general body reactions like affecting the immune system. The mess is so difficult to manage, i know of no successful way of fixing the problem other than better public education and warnings. Beyond that the next question is about buttock implants, how they really look and move. Beyond that the method has killed so many individuals that it is illegal in some parts of the world. Do a google search for "silicone injection illegal" or "silicone injection death." have you investigated any sufficient documentation of how such a device looks with activities like walking, swimming, or other general movement. Implants do not look like nor move like fat nor muscle. That may be one reason those advocating such implants do not show movies of these devices in place. To best understand such issues (other than see actual patients with the implant in person, would be to use at least my standard pictures for body lift and standard videos for body lift. These are designed to see the front and back for surgery to lift the lower body which includes the back and buttocks. Beyond that for implants, i would suggest looking at walking away, bending and standing from behind and side views, and patient emotional components about what it was like to live with such devices. In my opinion, the implants look so bad that i never offered them in my many years as a plastic surgeon. Hope this helps, michael bermant, M.D. Retired plastic surgeon.

In brief: This

Dr. Michael Bermant
Dr. Michael Bermant
Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Injecting

Injecting silicone, even medical grade silicone, is a bad idea.
It may look great at the onset, but eventually the body forms a lump of scar around the silicone that eventually becomes hard and often painful. Historically, injecting silicone was a method for breast augmentation and facial augmentation. It was abandoned due to the large number of complications. Thankfully, breast implants and ha fillers have come along that have much more predictable and pleasing results. While buttock implants are available, they do not work as well as breast implant due to the weight bearing nature of the buttocks. Fat transfer can be a viable alternative in selected cases. Injecting silicone is not a good option. The best way to learn what options may work for you is to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

In brief: Injecting

Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Evan Sorokin
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: As

As the other physicians noted, generally speaking injecting free silicone is a bad idea.
I would suggest meeting with real physicians and getting medical opinions about this. News reports keep showing unfortunate "patients" who go to various "providers" often in an apartment or hotel and get injected with silicone only to be found dead a day or two later. Be careful out there! cheap injections from a non-qualified person are a dangerous idea.

In brief: As

Dr. Evan Sorokin
Dr. Evan Sorokin
Dr. James Andersen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: As

As a global statement: injection of any free silicone material (silicone that is not contained within an implant envelope) into any part of the body is a catastrophic mistake.
Subsequent complications are virtually unavoidable and create irretrievable injury and deformity. If a physician offers silicone injections, then you should run from that office as fast as you can - do yourself a favor and find another solution to the problem.

In brief: As

Dr. James Andersen
Dr. James Andersen
Dr. Carey Nease
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Silicone

Silicone injections for any aesthetic purpose are off label, not fda approved and not recommended by any plastic or cosmetic society.
Buttock injections are particularly dangerous because of the volume needed to get a result, which can lead to emboli of the material and respiratory compromise and even death. The best options for buttock augmentation are solid silicone implants and injections of your own fat, commonly called a "brazilian butt lift" which is growing in popularity and showing promise for long lasting, natural appearing results.

In brief: Silicone

Dr. Carey Nease
Dr. Carey Nease
Dr. David Levens
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not

Not a good idea. I will assume you meant injecting silicone "as" or "for" a buttock implant and not "from" an implant.
The most common, accepted buttock enlargement procedures are fat transfer using your own body fat and solid silicone implants that are manufactured with different sizes and shapes. Liquid silicone for injection while somewhat more traditionally used in the face is currently rarely used by reputable physicians in the us as there can be significant problems including migration, extrusion and hardening of the product. You will read of many unfortunate unlicensed, unregulated uses of the product leading to potential disastrous results and death. Consult with a plastic surgeon in your area for proper buttock enhancement options.

In brief: Not

Dr. David Levens
Dr. David Levens
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: In

In brief, medical silicone is not approved for injection into the buttock and is an off label use of current medical indications.
Generally speaking this was done in the 1960's with predominantly unfavorable short and long term results. It continues to be practiced in other countries but has largely fallen out of favor in the usa. Ongoing studies with other injectables are being performed in other countries but currently there is no widely available and approved fillers for buttock augmentation. Without a doubt, the current popular filler is your own fat. The other alternative is a silicone implant specifically designed for buttock enhancement.

In brief: In

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Keegan Duchicela