Is incontinence normal for an 81-year old woman? My dear mother, who also suffers from osteoporosis and mild dementia, is losing control of her bladder. Should we see a doctor about it, or just live with it?

Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: Common

Not normal but very common.
Most if not all medicines for urinary incontinence can worsen memory in older adults with dementia. If it is impairing quality of life talk with her and her doctor about options.

In brief: Common

Not normal but very common.
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Robert Stroud
General Practice

In brief: No

Incontinence is never "normal" but it is very common in the elderly population.
I would visit a urologist.

In brief: No

I would visit a urologist.
Dr. Robert Stroud
Dr. Robert Stroud
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: This

This is difficult.
Most women will have a little incontinence as they get older. However, if the urinary incontinence is new or markedly worse then it may be a sign of a uti. With dementia, you mother may not complain about this. She should see her physician to further evaluate it further. Best wishes.

In brief: This

This is difficult.
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Peter Kurzweil