Sharp sudden pains in the head I've been having sharp sudden pains in my head for a couple years now they only happen maybe once a month and are only present for maybe a min at a time, my fiance is concerned about it and in the moment I am too but don't t

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Without

Without examining you, i can't tell if your headaches are nothing to worry about or need further work-up.
Headaches and their causes can be complicated, difficult diagnoses to make. Since it is starting to concern you and your fiance, you should make an appointment with your doctor for a complete evaluation. You doctor will take a thorough history and do a neurological evaluation to try and find out what is causing your symptoms. Even if your doctor is unable to figure out what is causing them, they can usually rule out dangerous causes of headache such as high blood pressure or tumor. You may want to think about the answers to some of the questions they may ask you such as: - when did it start? - how often do they happen? - are they getting more frequent or more painful? - how long do they last? - what does the headache feel like and can you point to it? - does it occur around the same time at night or does it ever happen during the day? - what other symptoms do you have and when do they occur in regards to the headache? - have you had any big life changes? - how is your lifestyle? Are you getting enough sleep, eating well, exercising? - are you taking any medications? Do you drink caffeine and how much? Answering these questions may help your doctor figure out what is causing your headaches, whether it is a serious problem or not, and how to help you. Good luck!

In brief: Without

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Mark Pack