Should i see my dr about weight gain? I am a 46 yr old female. I was always active and very fit, until 2001 my father passed suddenly from lung cancer and i went into a 2 year depression, which i fight even now. This is when i started gaining weight. I ha

Dr. Loki Skylizard
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Unfortunate

Please accept our condolences for your loss and ongoing challenges.
I strongly encourage open and honest dialogue with your primary care physician even if there is "nothing going on". Your health should be managed in partnership with your family physician. He/she can really help in many areas including but not limited to depression and weight. Be well.

In brief: Unfortunate

Dr. Loki Skylizard
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Dr. Steven Seres

In brief: So

So many of my patients come in to discuss their problems with weight.
I've had my own struggles with life-long eating habits i'm embarrassed to admit to. I understand and feel for you with this frustrating situation. Our bodies are very good at adapting to starvation. Indeed, when you're only eating 900 calories in a day, it's probable your body thinks it's starving and will do everything it can to hang on to every living calorie it can. However, there are medical conditions that prevent or can work against your efforts. I would recommend you see a doctor, have an exam, and they will likely want to check labs on you. Diabetes and thyroid issues are two common things that should not be overlooked. Do not overlook the negative impact depression has on your body's metabolism as well. I wish you much luck and would encourage you to see the 14 pounds you've lost as an excellent move in the right direction.

In brief: So

Dr. Steven Seres
Dr. Steven Seres