How does medication prescribed for pcos beneficial to my fertility my doctor told me I have pcos and is prescribing me a medication thats called metro something

Dr. Kimberly Morse

In brief: Metformin

Metformin improves your Insulin levels and glucose metabolism. Improving this often leads to spontaneous ovulation.

In brief: Metformin

Dr. Kimberly Morse
Dr. Kimberly Morse
Dr. Ew Moffitt

In brief: The

The medication is probably metformin.
Metformin is a medication that was initially intended to treat diabetes. When patients were on it for diabetes, some of them began having regular periods and got pregnant. It was found that some patients will return to ovulating when they are on this medication. Some will get pregnant. Later studies showed that more traditional infertility medications work better than metformin to help a patient get pregnant. Metformin is not recommended as first line therapy for people trying to get pregnant. As far as "treating pcos" with metformin, it is important to understand exactly what your doctor is trying to improve with this medication and how will he monitor the success of the medication. Long term treatment with metformin just to "treat pcos" is becoming popular, but it's role in patients without diabetes or even pre-diabetes is still being clarified.

In brief: The

The medication is probably metformin.
Dr. Ew Moffitt
Dr. Ew Moffitt
Dr. Jane Van Dis