Hi! i hurt my knee and need to know if i need to see a doctor. I have been icing, wearing a brace and elevating. Do i need to? I want a good answer with detail

Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: The

The real question is how disabling is your pain? Problems such as locking of your knee, giving way, painful grinding or popping, inability to bear weight without pain, knee instability, and significant pain moving your knee even when you are not weight bearing would be indicative of more serious problems where timely orthopedic care is indicated.

In brief: The

Dr. James McClurg
Dr. James McClurg
Dr. Gary Gorlick
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: If

If your knee " gives way" i.
e. Buckles, or if it has a large swelling ( effusion ) after 7 days, or you hear grinding noises in it-------you must see an orthopedist. You are correctly doing all the right measures to date. But it should be appreciably better in 7-10 days from the trauma.

In brief: If

If your knee " gives way" i.
Dr. Gary Gorlick
Dr. Gary Gorlick
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine