When is a complete cornea transplant necessary? I got hit in my left eye with a baseball a few years ago. Ever since, my vision in that eye has been increasingly blurry. It's safe to say that I am legally blind in that left eye. I've been told a complete

Dr. Eugene McLaurin
Ophthalmology

In brief: After

After an injury that you have had you want to have someone look at cataract development and also see if the inside layer of cells are damaged in your cornea and then you would want to have a retinal specialist evaluate your retina to be sure there is no internal damage to the retina prior to having your procedure.
Good luck with your findings and surgery.

In brief: After

Dr. Jeffrey Whitman
Ophthalmology

In brief: You

You really need to see a cornea specialist to evaluate for both cataract and whether a simpler dsek procedure would be appropriate to help your cornea.

In brief: You

Dr. Charles Flowers
Ophthalmology

In brief: Based

Based on the nature of the injury you described, i would be concerned that your primary problem may be with your retina or your crystalline lens and not your cornea.
Typically, insults to the cornea that result in visual compromise usually manifest within a matter of weeks to months. A progressive decrease in vision spanning several years following a blunt trauma injury to the eye is most consistent with cataract formation, which involves the crystalline lens. Alternatively, degenerative changes in the retina from the initial injury can present this way as well. I strongly recommend that you consult with a corneal specialist to confirm the need for corneal transplantation.

In brief: Based

Dr. Eric Weisman