Can going off Zoloft harm you? I have been taking Zoloft for 5 years. 18 months ago i dosed down from 50 mg to 25 mg with little to no side effects. I really want to get off these meds so my dr advised i can start cutting the 25 mg pills in half to see ho

Dr. Shariq Refai

In brief: Usually.

It is best to follow the direction of the doctor.

In brief: Usually.

Dr. Shariq Refai
Dr. Shariq Refai
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: Suddenly

Suddenly stopping newer antidepressants like zoloft (sertraline) can result in serotonergic syndrome which can be very scary amd miserable.
Weaning off zoloft (sertraline) gradually as your physician advised is very safe and does not expose you to this problem. Best wishes.

In brief: Suddenly

Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu