Why would my doctors have induced a 3-day coma after I had a post-operative stroke?

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery
In brief: Common treatment
If is a common treatment of brain edema (swelling) that reduces the metabolic demands of the brain.

In brief: Common treatment
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Stephen Chinn
and allows the brain to rest/recuperate.
Dr. Nader Pouratian
Neurosurgery
In brief: Protect the brain.
When you have a stroke, there are parts of the brain at risk of dying that can be salvaged.
By inducing a coma, the physician decreases the demands of those "at-risk" areas and in some cases is able to minimize the extent and impact of the stroke.

In brief: Protect the brain.
Dr. Nader Pouratian
Dr. Nader Pouratian
Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology
In brief: To save your life
Therapeutic coma reduces brain metabolism, brain swelling and prevents seizures.
This measure saves brain at risk for damage or destruction. Good work by your doctors. And good results for you!

In brief: To save your life
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Edward Smith