Why would I need to take seizure medications after a surgery to remove a malignant tumor?

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Neurosurgery
In brief: Prevent seizures
If you have previously had a seizure because of your tumor, you will need to take seizure meds for a while.
If you have not previously seized, then the meds are simply used as a precaution to prevent future seizures. The use of prophylactic seizure meds is currently being studies and mildly controversial. I personally do use seizure meds in all my malignant brain tumor patients.

In brief: Prevent seizures
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Risk of seizure
Any trauma or abnormality including tumor recurrence can dramatically increase risk for having a seizure.
The manipulation alone during the surgery can result in abnormal electrical activity. Anti seizure medication is used to protect the brain as a precaution.

In brief: Risk of seizure
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Arnon Rubin