How harmful is it to get fluocinonide in open wounds? I have bad psoriasis on my scalp and am always scratching, which results in a lot of broken skin and open wounds. I just put on my fluocinonide 0.05% and had severe stinging all over my head once i app

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Shouldn't use it.

Fluocinonide can be used to control psoriasis, but should not be used in open wounds especially if you suspect that it maybe infected.
I suspect the stinging you feel is from the alcohol content of the solution which may well work as an antiseptic.

In brief: Shouldn't use it.

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Jocelyn LaRocque
Dermatology

In brief: Don't

Don't worry. The stinging most likely resulted from the vehicle that the medicine was in (ie, foam, lotion, gel, etc).
Sometimes these have alcohol in their base vehicle which certainly doesn't not feel good in an open wound. The amount of systemic absorption that you get from topical application of a steroid of this strength is extremely minimal and almost negligible...Across normal skin and in an area of broken skin. You have done no harm to yourself. L would recommend asking your doctor for a the medicine in a different vehicle to avoid the sting.

In brief: Don't

Dr. Jocelyn LaRocque
Dr. Jocelyn LaRocque