How long does it take for the "pill" to actually start working? I have a doctor appointment coming up to get birth control and I just wanted an idea of how long it would take for it to start working

Most . Most birth control manufacturers recommend using a back-up method such as a condom for the first week you are on the pill. After that, as long as you take it around the same time every day without missing one, it's 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. Just remember, the birth control helps to protect against pregnancy, but does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases.
The . The standard instruction when starting any oral contraceptive is to abstain from sex or use condoms for the first week. After that time, the contraceptive is over 99% effective for preventing pregnancy when it's taken every day. I've included a link that might be of interest to you. It discusses the effectiveness and potential side effects of birth control pills and offers links to information on other methods of birth control. I hope that helps! http://www.Plannedparenthood.Org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-pill-4228.Htm.