Why do I still have seizures even thought I had surgery and had my brain tumor removed?

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Neurosurgery

In brief: Not uncommon

Unfortunately, even with full tumor resection, only 80% of patients will have complete seizure disorder relief.
10% or so will note improved seizure frequency/intensity and the rest of the patients will have no improvement of their seizures despite surgery.

In brief: Not uncommon

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Scar focus

Tumors do not cause seizures.
They irritate regions of the brain that then cause seizures. After removal of a tumor the irritated brain areas may remain. In some cases further surgery is necessary to remove these areas. Eeg recordings during surgery can identify these areas for removal. Otherwise medications are appropriate to control the residual seizures.

In brief: Scar focus

Tumors do not cause seizures.
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. Marsha Davis