Is it safe to take fluoride while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

Fluoridated drinking water and Fluoride toothpastes are controlled at a a safe level.
Less controllable are Fluoride supplements. Your child's permanent teeth begin forming in utero, so measured amount of Fluoride is helpful. Talk to your ob/gyn and your dentist about Fluoride levels in your communities water.

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. James Beck
Dentistry

Yes, the Fluoride you get from toothpaste and fluoridated water is very safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
You do not need to take any additional Fluoride during your pregnancy or while breast feeding. The Fluoride you get in water and toothpaste is plenty.

Dr. James Beck
Dr. James Beck
Dr. Media Najafi
Dentistry

In brief: I say NO

It is my personal opinion to not take any supplements that are not cruicial for the baby's development.
Studies on Fluoride for children show the benefits of Fluoride but measuring the benefits of Fluoride for a baby in the womb is more questionable and more risky. Personally i wouldn't take Fluoride during pregnancy but am open to look at any studies arguing otherwise. I wouldn't take it.

In brief: I say NO

Dr. Media Najafi
Dr. Media Najafi
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

Yes it is safe to drink water with Fluoride in it and to use toothpaste and other topical Fluoride products like mouthwash while pregnant and/or breast feeding.

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

Stick to community-based fluoridated water or Fluoride toothpaste.
I do not believe you have to do more than these options. Furthermore, these two options have been shown to decrease tooth decay.

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey