Is there a disease, virus, or environmental factor that can cause a child to be born with no legs? I was curious because a friend of mine does not have legs. With the way he speaks it doesn't seem as though he lost them in an accident. I was curious if a

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: 1

1 in 2000 children are born with a limb deformity ranging from a missing part of a finger to missing entire arms and legs.
Most of the time, the cause is unknown. Sometimes it can be caused by a genetic defect, chemical or drug exposure in the first trimester (such as thalidomide or agent orange in the 1960's and 1970's), or amniotic band syndrome. I don't know of any specific syndromes that tie in with his other health ailments.

In brief: 1

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey