What is the first step I should take after finding out I have epilepsy?

Dr. Steven Giannotta
Neurosurgery
In brief: Look for the cause
Adults who develop epilepsy should have treatment in the form of anti epileptic medications and tests to determine a cause.
This usually involves a neurologic exam by a neurologist and an MRI scan of the brain.

In brief: Look for the cause
Dr. Steven Giannotta
Dr. Steven Giannotta
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Inform yourself
You need to feel comfortable and knowledgeable about the diagnosis.
There are many sources of information. The efa (epilepsy foundation of america) and local epilepsy societies can help. There are many web sites now that are available. Develop a list of questions and gradually get them answered. Your neurologist should be your primary source, but he will depend on you to ask the questions.

In brief: Inform yourself
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. Vicken Poochikian