What is the difference between stage and grade for brain cancer?

Dr. Nader Pouratian
Neurosurgery

In brief: Grade is key.

Brain tumors are rated by the world health organization grade, with higher grades generally being more aggressive.
Stage is a terminology used in cancers outside of the brain, which describe how much a cancer has spread all over the body. Because brain tumors/cancers generally do not spread all over the body, we rarely use "staging" with primary brain tumors.

In brief: Grade is key.

Dr. Nader Pouratian
Dr. Nader Pouratian
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Primary brain

Tumors in adults never metastasize, and the grade determines prognosis, time of survival, or time to recurrence.
The grade + stage, but commonly low grade is stage i, ii including astrocytoma, oligoastrocytoma. Anaplastic astro: grade 3; glioblastoma, is stage iv.

In brief: Primary brain

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Walter Klein
I agree with you except that I would not say never metastasize in adult. It happpens but is extremely rare (I have seen it a few times as a pathologist) as most patients die beforehand.