What is the complete recovery time frame for a carotid end-arterectomy?

Dr. Peter H'doubler
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Quick recovery
Carotid endarterectomy requires an overnight stay in the hospital.
Most patients are back to doing just about everything in 5 to 7 days. The neck heals very quickly and the procedure itself isn't very traumatic (i.e. No muscle is cut or bones broken) which makes the discomfort post operatively mild and short-lived. I've had a patient who mc'ed a black tie event for 600 people 3 days post-op!

In brief: Quick recovery
Dr. Peter H'doubler
Dr. Peter H'doubler
Dr. Robert Spetzler
Neurosurgery
In brief: 30 days
The time needed for full recovery can be 4-6 weeks but this can be longer if the patient has a poor medical condition baseline or if there was a stroke or TIA prior to surgery.

In brief: 30 days
Dr. Robert Spetzler
Dr. Robert Spetzler