What is it important for me to ask my neurosurgeon before having temporal lobe surgery for epilepsy?

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Neurosurgery
In brief: RBA
In general, whenever you speak to a surgeon, always ask for 3 things: 1.
Risks (what are the most common risks of the surgery) 2. Benefits (why do you need the surgery) 3. Alternatives (are there any alternatives surgeries or medications to the procedure being suggested).

In brief: RBA
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Soren Singel
Neurosurgery
In brief: Functional MRI
Ask if there is a role for any functional mri, as it may show eloquent brain regions ahead of surgery.
Also, awake craniotomy may be considered in some cases. Your neurosurgeon may need neither for a standard amygdalo-hippocampectomy for mesial temporal sclerosis.

In brief: Functional MRI
Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Soren Singel