What is a type 2 chiari malformation?

Brain abnormality. A type 2 chiari malformation is a brain abnormality a baby is born with, where the lower part of the brain bulges down through the hole in the base of the skull. Babies with this malformation may show symptoms like poor feeding, difficulty breathing, and weakness. It is almost always associated with spina bifida as well.
Structural defects. Chiari 2 is a condition where the cerebellum and brainstem descend into the spinal canal, and is usually associated with a form of spina bifida called myelomeningocele, where the spinal cord is exposed at birth. Treatment typically involves surgery.