Joint pain in my fingers and my right index finger gets "stuck" either extended or bent. I have bi-lateral pain in several joints of my fingers. My right index gives me the most trouble. Many mornings when i wake, i can not bend the finger unless I use my

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Trigger

Trigger finger or stenosing tenosynovits an inflammatory condition of the flexor tendons and their lining that has a mechanical component is the most common reason for a stuck or triggering digit.
Other conditions can simulate this such as disorders of the extensor tendon mechanism where an imbalance of the tendon casues the finger to be held tightly in place and then the components of the tendon release suddenly as the joint flexes. However a "trigger finger" is a very common cause http://www.Assh.Org/public/handconditions/pages/triggerfinger.Aspx.

In brief: Trigger

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: So

So called "trigger finger" is indeed the most likely cause.
In most cases it "just happens" but occasionally there is some underlying condtion. The good news: it's readily treated so get into see someone and "get it fixed" if simple measures such as rest don't help, a properly administered cortisone shot has a high rate of success. Best of luck.

In brief: So

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine