What blood thinner can I take after my carotid surgery if stomach ulcers make it impossible for me to take aspirin?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: It depends
Generally Aspirin is still safe in those with a history ulcers so long as acid medications such as omeprazole, nexium, (esomeprazole) protonix, prevacid, etc are taken along with it to prevent recurrence.
You should have taken a similar medication to heal the ulcer. If you are allergic to Aspirin or intolerant for some other reason a medication such as Plavix may be reasonable. Discuss with your doctor.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Neurosurgery
In brief: Multiple Choices
Plavix (clopidogrel) is usually the best choice for people who cannot tolerate aspirin.

In brief: Multiple Choices
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Adam Smith