The upper part (near my cartilage) of my ear is swollen, tender to touch and warm. I have had previous ear infections. But this is definitely not an ear infection. I have tried putting a heating pad and an ice pack on it.

Dr. Ted Leem
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Ear infection

This could be an external ear infection most commonly caused by a bacteria that you get from water contact (swimming, for example).
Other less common things could also be at play but this would be the most common.

In brief: Ear infection

Dr. Ted Leem
Dr. Ted Leem
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: This

This appears to have the characteristics of an infection involving the cartilage of the the external ear.
You really need to see your physician to have this evaluated. It will probably require use of powerful antibiotics to calm your infection. Best wishes.

In brief: This

Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Cindy Juster