What are the hormonal effects of pituitary cancer?

Dr. Leila Wing

In brief: Malignant?

By pituitary cancer I am assuming you mean malignant cancer and not tumor (that is benign).
Pituitary dysfunction can occur because the normal tissue is crowded out by the cancer. There could be problems with steroid production during times of stress, reproductive problems like low testosterone or irregular menstrual cycles, & thyroid dysfunction. Some pituitary cancers can cause excess hormones.

In brief: Malignant?

Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Leila Wing
Dr. Karl Schultz
Neurosurgery

In brief: Affect many hormones

Pituitary tumors can affect a broad number of hormonal axis in our body including thyroid function, menstrual cycles in women, the ability of pregnant women to lactate, testosterone production in men, the ability to produce cortisol, influence body size in general, while also affecting our kidney's ability to retain water.

In brief: Affect many hormones

Dr. Karl Schultz
Dr. Karl Schultz