My father is 80 years old and one of his carotid arteries is 90% blocked - is he a good candidate for surgery or not?

Dr. Steven Giannotta
Neurosurgery
In brief: Possibly
It depends on his general health especially the condition of his heart and lungs.
The surgeon must report no more than a 3 - 5% complication rate. He may be a candidate for a stenting procedure if he has heart problems or multiple strokes.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Steven Giannotta
Dr. Steven Giannotta
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Will need to
Be evaluated to see if intervention is safe.
I perform carotid artery stenting with distal protection on patients this age frequently. See stroke and carotid artery disease at www.Sirweb.Org for good info.

In brief: Will need to
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Adam Smith