Is there a pediatric psychiatrist who is a behavorial specialist that you might recommend? My 7 yr old granddaughter has issues. My 7 year old granddaughter has pretty serious behavorial issues. She has really awful temper tantrums & has tendencies to bec

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Sometimes

Sometimes finding a specialist in your area can be a very difficult task.
I don't personally know anyone in your area, but two ways you can look into it are to ask your granddaughter's doctor for a referral or to call your granddaughter's insurance company to see which child psychiatrists take her insurance. Doing both can help narrow the field. From there, sometimes you just have to meet people to see who your granddaughter "clicks" with and who you feel most comfortable with. Doctors have different styles that work for different people and sometimes it just takes a little sleuthing to figure out who is going to work best for your family. Good luck!

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
3 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
If you're her legal guardian you can seek care from mental health providers for her. If not, her parents must take her.
Dr. Neeta Jain
Also sometimes the pediatrician a can do a great job of counselling the child and the family. They can help with the behavior modification
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Unless you're her

Legal guardian, her parents have to take her to her pediatrician for referral to a child psychiatrist (for medication management) & a child psychologist ( for behavioral therapy) covered by her insurance.
Document a 3-generation family history of medical & mental illnesses on your side; ask other grandparents to do the same. All caretakers should learn & apply behavior management techniques.

In brief: Unless you're her

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Jonathan Jassey