Is it expensive or hard to do a home pregnancy test?

No. You can pick up a home pregnancy test at the drugstore and all it takes it peeing on a little stick. It measures a pregnancy hormone that is found in your urine. The tests are the most accurate on the day you miss your period or later. It is sometimes easier to read the ones with smiley faces or plus or minus signs rather than the 2 blue lines.
Neither. Home pregnancy tests are reasonably inexpensive (under $10) and are very easy to interpret. They require you to hold the test device in your stream of urine briefly, wait several minutes and then interpret the result (which is very straightforward).