When is fever a concern? My 13 year old son has a fever of 101 degrees and i'd like to know at what point he should see a doctor or begin taking an antibiotic.

In brief: Parent sense

I find most parents have a special sense about their own kids.
If what you see or feel bothers you take him in. Fever by itself is part of the natural body response to illness and often represents a self healing virus. Antibiotics are useful if a bacterial infection is diagnosed.

In brief: Parent sense

Dr. Allen Menkin

In brief: Fever

Fever is a normal body response to many things.
Except at extremes it is not dangerous. It is not a disease and its treatment is only indicated to keep your child comfortable. You need to see a doctor if it is persistent for more than a day or two, if he has signiificant toxicity (extreme fatigue, delirium, pain) or if there are other signs of illness.

In brief: Fever

Dr. Allen Menkin
Dr. Allen Menkin
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine