Why does my head hurt after scuba diving? I recently tried scuba diving for the very first time. At one point, i think i came up too fast. That was 3 days ago, and i've had an intense headache ever since. What is the reason for this, and should I be seeki

In brief: Rapid ascent

Dr huang provided an exceptional response, detailing possible reasons for your pain.
Having been a hyperbaric physician, i stress to you the importance of evaluation for new symptoms after a rapid ascent.

In brief: Rapid ascent

Dr. Enoch Huang
Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine

In brief: There

There are many reasons for why you have a headache after scuba diving, especially as a new diver. The most benign reason for a headache could be a mask that was too tight, or sinus issues because of pressure changes (mask squeeze or sinus squeeze).
Another benign reason could be retention of carbon dioxide because of "skip breathing, " where you slow your breathing down below normal levels in order to conserve air while underwater. You mentioned that you may have ascended rapidly at one point in your dive. This could put you at risk of decompression sickness (dcs) or arterial gas embolism (age) depending on how rapidly you ascended, how deep you were, and how long you had been underwater. Unfortunately, you did not provide enough information to answer this question. I believe that since your diving was 3 days ago, it is not likely to be a severe case of dcs or age, but i would recommend that you make a call to the divers alert network emergency hotline (919-684-9111) and discuss the specifics of your symptoms with a health professional.

In brief: There

Dr. Enoch Huang
Dr. Enoch Huang
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine