I am 51, 14 mos. No period. Bleeding again. Why? I now am bleeding heavy for last two days. Is this normal? Will my body have to go through all the symptoms of menopause again?

Dr. Shira Miller

In brief: Rule out cancer.

Once you are in menopause, unless you are taking hormones to restart your period, you shouldn't have any bleeding.
You need to go to your gynecologist and make sure you don't have uterine cancer. Most likely though it is build up of uterine lining.

In brief: Rule out cancer.

Dr. Shira Miller
Dr. Shira Miller
Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: Bleeding

Bleeding after absence of your period for greater than one year needs to be investigated.
Your gyneclogist will need to perform a biopsy of your uterus called an endometrial biopsy (emb) in order to look for changes in your uterus that could account for your bleeding. Also a pelvic ultrasound may be done in order to look for fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus) that frequently cause bleeding. All the best.

In brief: Bleeding

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Jane Van Dis