Is general anesthesia more dangerous for people who have had epilepsy surgery?

Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Shouldn't be
If you are still taking any medications to prevent seizures, you should keep taking them with a sip of water on your usual schedule up to the time of surgery.
Be sure to tell the anesthesiologist about your epilepsy surgery and how long it has been since you/ve had a seizure. Anesthesia medications can be selected, if necessary, to reduce the chance of any problems related to epilepsy.

In brief: Shouldn't be
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: No, but...
If the seizure focus was removed without damaging surrounding tissue then there is no problem. If the surgery compromised the blood flow to some areas of the brain then you will be more sensitive to the anesthetic and will take longer to wake up.
This is not a greatly increased risk. Talk to your anesthesiologist about your case and your concerns.

In brief: No, but...
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology
In brief: No
General anesthesia usually supresses seizures except for a few drugs we use.
Tell your anesthesiologist. At least a day in advance of your surgery and follow their instructions. These will probably include taking your medications and drinking clear fluids to keep well hydrated on the day of surgery. I instruct all my patients to drink so that they are not thirsty when they arrive at the hospital.

In brief: No
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Nader Pouratian
Neurosurgery
In brief: No
The risk of anesthesia is not related to a history of previous surgery, but the underlying condition which a patient has.

In brief: No
Dr. Nader Pouratian
Dr. Nader Pouratian
Dr. Vikram Patel