Shouldn't prednisone be prescribed in titrated doses? I am 76 years old. Last week i was taken to the ER with an acute allergic reaction (hives, swollen tongue, etc.). The physician prescribed prednisone 40 mg q. D. X 4. A nurse told me that prednisone

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Workup and Mgt

Usually a short course of prednisone does not need to be titrated, unless you have a medical condition that necessitates this.
I would suggest that you have an Epi Pen at home and with you, with instructions for its use. In addition, it is important to know what triggered this reaction and to avoid the triggers.

In brief: Workup and Mgt

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. David Bordeaux
Dentistry

In brief: Maybe

Consult your primary care physician to review your medical status with regards to the risks of Prednisone treatment.
The answer depends on your other medical conditions and prescriptions.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. David Bordeaux
Dr. David Bordeaux
Dr. Joseph Jeu

In brief: If

If using Prednisone for very short periods of time, less than 7 days, Prednisone does not need to be titrated.
For using Prednisone for longer periods of time, Prednisone still needs to be slowly titrated down and off.

In brief: If

Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. Joseph Jeu
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine