If I had surgery for a chiari malformation in 2002 and they put a mesh patch in place of a piece of skull, could it be causing dystonia?

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Neurosurgery
In brief: Not likely
Dystonia is a complex problem usually caused by either meds, brain pathway problems, or both.
The use of mesh in the chiari surgery is very common and never been reported to cause dystonia. It can cause some local headaches but they usually resolve spontaneously.

In brief: Not likely
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Estrada Bernard
Neurosurgery
In brief: Probably not
It is not clear what you refer to as a mesh patch, as there are several possibilities .
Regardless, I am not aware of dystonia being attributable to any patch grafts.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Estrada Bernard
Dr. Estrada Bernard
Dr. Eric Weisman