How is it possible for surgeons to remove part of my brain to cure epilepsy and not damage my mind?

Dr. Roger Frankel
Neurosurgery
In brief: Brain mapping
Extensive testing to locate the seizure focus in the brain is performed.
Often the area in the brain that the seizures arise from is not functional. In this situation it is safe to perform surgery. However, there always is some risk associated with any brain surgery.

In brief: Brain mapping
Dr. Roger Frankel
Dr. Roger Frankel
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: Not a problem
We actually only use a small portion of our brains for anything really useful.
Large portions can be damaged or removed with only minimal effect on thinking and functioning. However, some regions are vital and would leave you totally useless if damaged or removed. Careful brain surgery will remove only what is bad and leave what is necessary.

In brief: Not a problem
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie