I take 800mg of ibuprofen a day for arthritis pain. Is it ok to have an alcoholic beverage? No more details...

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Key word is "AN"

Ibuprofen may increase the chance of stomach irritation and bleeding, and alcohol can do the same thing and increase that effect of the ibuprofen.
One drink, now and again, is unlikely to cause any problems, but multiple drinks on a regular basis can cause gastritis with the possiblity of causing an ulcer and/or bleeding. Taking the Ibuprofen together with a meal, or milk or an antacid may help.

In brief: Key word is "AN"

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Louis Reznick

In brief: The

The simple answer is yes, but in moderation.
Excessive alcohol is dageing to the liver leading to alcoholic cirrhosis & Motrin also is limited in amount by liver & kidney toxicity. The 800 mg a day of ibuprofen(motrin, advil, nuprin, rufen) is in moderation. Keep in mind that all these compounds are the same Ibuprofen & are added together & if they equal 2400 mg adding alcohol is not a good idea. The flip side is how much alcohol are you adding to the 800 mg of ibuprofen. This amount varies between individuals, depending on the health of your liver to clear these drugs. In my opinion, moderation here is one liquor drink, or 2 bottles of beer, or 4 glasses of wine separately, not all together in a day is moderate. I'll drink to thar!

In brief: The

Dr. Louis Reznick
Dr. Louis Reznick
Dr. Vikram Patel