Could i be pregnant? My doctor started me progesterone 8 months ago and I have started my period on the 19th of every month the past 8 months, but this month I am 5 days late.Could i be pregnant/

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: As

As doctors, anytime a fertile, sexually active woman has an abnormally light or missed period, the first thing we do is rule out pregnancy.
You can either take a home pregnancy test as long as it has been 6 weeks since your last normal period, or you can go see your doctor and they can test you. A blood test can tell if you are pregnant as soon as 7 days after conception and a doctor's urine pregnancy test can tell if you are pregnant around when you next period should come. It is always better to be safe than sorry and to know sooner rather than later. That being said, you are on birth control (progesterone) and if you take the pill at the same time every day, your chances of being pregnant are less than 1%. If you forget pills here and there, your risk of pregnancy jumps to almost 10%. Other reasons for missed periods are stress, poor diet, extreme exercise or weight loss, and hormone disorders such as thyroid problems. Good luck!

In brief: As

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Adam Levy