Pregnancy and catching fifth disease I am 22 years old and 27 weeks pregnant. My fiance was recently in contact with his daughter who has fifth disease. I heard that pregnant women are succeptable to the disease and can cause birth defects or death to the

Dr. Les Gurwitt

In brief: To

To be safe and for reassurance ask your OB doctor to order igm and igg for parovirus b19.
It is a simple blood test.

In brief: To

It is a simple blood test.
Dr. Les Gurwitt
Dr. Les Gurwitt
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: Depends

Only if you never had fifth disease, you are at risk to be infected.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Most

Most likely, you and your baby will be fine and here's why: - 50% of adults have had fifth disease sometime during childhood and are immune.
- if your fiance is not ill, you can't catch fifth disease unless you had direct contact with his daughter - the illness is characterized by a red rash on the cheeks and a lacy rash over the body or joint pain/swelling but not stomach upset - even if you are exposed and not immune, you have less than a 5% chance of having a problem with the baby - especially since you are in the second half of your pregnancy. Below i attached a website from the center for disease control with lots of great information on fifth disease and pregnancy. If you have any additional questions, give your doctor a call.

In brief: Most

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey